Contrary to popular belief, there are lots of wild foods to forage and learn about during the winter. Seaweeds, succulent coastal plants, late fungi, roots, seeds, winter greens and shellfish aren’t hard to find, and feel all the more rewarding in leaner months.
There may be a little less to forage than in other seasons, but given that most beginners on my spring/summer/autumn walks often feel overwhelmed by the the abundance of nature, winter is a chance to tune in while the woods, hedgerows and coast are less daunting. This is the time to really get tuned in, and lay strong foundations for the year ahead.
Rather than running public walks over the winter, I offer foraging tuition sessions for private groups of 1 – 12 people. This allows greater flexibility around weather, what is growing, your interests etc. I know excellent winter foraging locations all around Scotland and N England, but if you come to Galloway (SW Scotland), its cheaper and I can be more certain of what we will encounter.
- 2 – 3 hour foraging walk, with foraged treats, tasters and tipples. Typically we would cover between 1 and 2 miles during this time
- 1 hour workshop session focussing more closely on ID/preservation/cookery techniques, as weather/location/shelter options permit
- Location/route/duration/shelter options can be arranged according to interests/ability of your group, what’s in season, weather etc.
Exploring some or all of the following (sessions can be tailored to your needs/interests):
- Winter plant/seaweed/fungi/shellfish ID
- Food/drink/bushcraft/medicinal uses
- Cookery, preservation and wild drink techniques
- Mindfulness, general foraging skills
Guideline prices – Mon to Fri – Add £100 to base price for weekend bookings:
- Dumfries and Galloway area: £250 for first 6 people. Add £20 for each extra person up to 12.
- Glasgow/Ayrshire/Central Belt/Cumbria: £350 for up to 6 people. Add £20 for each extra person up to 12.
- Further afield: Email for a quote
How To Book:
Email Mark on email@example.com stating your group size, preferred location/dates, interests, and i’ll get back to you with date options, price and suggested locations.