Contrary to popular belief, there are lots of wild foods to forage and learn about during the winter. Seaweeds, succulent coastal plants, late fungi, roots, seeds, winter greens and shellfish aren’t hard to find, and feel all the more rewarding in leaner months.
There may be a little less to forage than in other seasons, but given that most beginners on my spring/summer/autumn walks often feel overwhelmed by the the abundance of nature, winter is a chance to tune in while the woods, hedgerows and coast are less daunting. This is the time to really get tuned in, and lay strong foundations for the year ahead.
Rather than running public walks over the winter, I offer foraging tuition sessions for private groups of 1 – 12 people. This allows greater flexibility around weather, what is growing, your interests etc. I know excellent winter foraging locations all around Scotland and N England, but if you come to Galloway (SW Scotland), its cheaper and I can be more certain of what we will encounter.
- 2 – 3 hour foraging walk, with foraged treats, tasters and tipples. Typically we would cover between 1 and 2 miles during this time. Alternatively, we could visit two or three locations by car car, for shorter walks, focussing on specific habitats.
- 1 hour workshop session focussing more closely on ID/preservation/cookery techniques, as weather/location/shelter options permit
- Forager’s lunch, wild tipples, treats and tasters included
- Location/route/duration/shelter options can be arranged according to interests/ability of your group, what’s in season, weather etc.
Exploring some or all of the following (sessions can be tailored to your needs/interests):
- Winter plant/seaweed/fungi/shellfish ID
- Food/drink/bushcraft/medicinal uses
- Cookery, preservation and wild drink techniques
- Mindfulness, general foraging skills
Guideline prices (SW Scotland)-
- Mon to Fri – From £250
- Weekend days – From £350
- Central Scotland/N England – add £100
- Further afield – email for a quote
How To Book:
Email Mark on firstname.lastname@example.org stating your group size, preferred location/dates, interests, and i’ll get back to you with an information sheet, date options, price and suggested locations.