Gourmet Wild Food Tasting Menu
If you are thinking of coming on one of my gourmet autumn foraging days, this should give you an idea of what you might expect for lunch.
The menu usually includes at least 50 of Galloway’s finest autumn wild foods – all picked within 20 miles of where you will eat them. You will have encountered many of them in the wild during the learning part of your day. Almost all non wild ingredients are organic and sourced within Dumfries and Galloway, or at least Scotland.
To showcase foraged ingredients, menus tend to be predominantly, though not exclusively, vegetarian. All meat and fish used is wild. Let me know on booking if you have any dietary restrictions and I will accommodate you.
The meal is served on our large verandah with breathtaking views up the Fleet Valley to the granite peak of Cairnsmore.
“Thanks for a fantastic day out yesterday! Chanterelles galore followed by a most relaxing 3-hour lunch on a sun-drenched terrace. Followed by more foraging on the beach. Brilliant, I will be back.” – Eva Milroy
- Elderflower champagne
- “Cicely’s Ruin” – Botanical gin with sweet cicely juice and crab apple verjus
- Oyster plant with sea buckthorn and yew berry
- Pepper dulse, fresh from the rocks
- Smoked egg with pickled marsh samphire and hogweed seed
- Wild sushi: Nori rolls with Wigtown Bay sea bass, sea aster, sea plantain, coriander grass; sea radish, scurvy grass and sea radish “wasabi”
Watercress and three-sorrel soup
- Made with wood, sheep and common sorrel; wild thyme and Galloway honey bread
Fungi flambéed with apple brandy
- The best of the morning’s harvest, cooked at the table with meu and ground elder, served with…
…Ultimate wild mushroom risotto
- Made with ceps, chanterelles, puffballs, yarrow, wild thyme and truffle
- Pink purslane, chickweed, bittercress, sea beet, greater cuckoo cress, balsam flowers, dressed with sweet elderberry vinegar
Criffel cheese and Loch Arthur organic cheddar
- Sea buckthorn jelly, pickled walnuts and Arran oatcakes
Greengage and bramble frangipani
- Greengage and watermint ice cream, knotweed and sweet cicely sorbet
- With rose and violet syrups and creeping raspberry
- Damson and meadowsweet gin
- Sweet cicely and knotweed vodka
Jelly ear and sloe gin turkish delight
Coffee or wild herb teas
See the foraging events calendar for details of this year’s gourmet autumn foraging days